Tuesday, August 8, 2017

The Classroom is the Third Teacher

Learning is multifaceted.  We learn from our teachers, each other, our families, and our life experiences.  The physical space we learn in is also a teacher.  I asked our teachers at Lokelani to design their classrooms to mirror the learning that they want to happen this school year.  I believe, the learning space should inspire students to collaborate, wonder, and dream about all the multiple opportunities they have for their lives.  When I was a middle school student, I loved going to my language arts class where there were spaces for me to work in groups, read independently, and conference with my teacher.  It was comfy, peaceful and inviting.  I felt safe taking risks and asking questions.  My science classroom was decorated with artifacts from exemplar science labs and comfy spaces for us to work in which included a loft in the classroom.  My art class had student work displayed like a gallery all over the room.

As I walked around Lokelani today and visited classes, I saw teachers that put in a lot of effort to create an optimum learning enviornment that exudes a passion for learning.  An eighth grade science teacher had beautiful lights on her walls, with several different areas in her class for students to work in groups, collaborate and problem solve.  A seventh grade social studies teacher decorated his walls with student work from past projects.  A seventh grade science teacher had pictures of herself and important people in her life, as well as past student work and organized areas where students could access the supplies they needed to be more independent.  Our seventh grade language arts teachers had collaborative work spaces, beautiful libraries of books to choose to read, and cooperative learning spaces.  We as a school, are dedicated to designing learning spaces where students are engaged and enjoying their learning.  

We continue to work on facilities improvements to allow these creatively designed spaces to exist.  I meet at least weekly with our facilities and maintenance team to discuss school facility improvement.  I am grateful for the team of teachers, students and parents that organized the beautiful mural.  Our beautiful mural really brought life to the front of our school.  I was very fortunate to attend an award winning middle school with meticulously designed learning spaces and I hope to recreate this same kind of purposeful learning space for our students at Lokelani.  

No comments:

Post a Comment