Wednesday, August 30, 2017

We are the world.

I wasnʻt sure where to start for our inaugural newsletter for school year 2017-2018.  I was asked by our outstanding PCNC, Halleh Dunicliffe to submit something for and I belabored on what the theme should be and what my focus should be each month.   I decided that I want to focus my piece in the newsletters on the joy of learning.  I am fortunate enough to be raised in a multicultural and bilingual home where critical thinking, diverse rich conversation and the love of learning was ubiquitous in my childhood.  My father is a retired nationally recognized middle school principal and has and continues to be an inspiration to me in my work as a school leader, parent and person.  He taught me the gift of learning and the tenacity in which I need to advocate for my students so they reach all of their educational goals.  I am so excited that our faculty and staff have joined me this year in implementing so many awesome programs to enrich the education of our students at Lokelani.  We started the AVID program this year to prepare students for college, a Spanish Language and Art elective, and added a physical education teacher to ensure that all students have physical education each year.  In our three year academic plan, our school aspires to become an International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme school.  We are in the exploratory phase of becoming an International Baccalaureate school and researching what it will take to get this prestigious recognition for our school.  Our parents and community members are an integral component of bringing this international programme to our school, so I have a task for all of you.  In the cafeteria there are two maps.  I am asking, students, parents and families to send our school postcards when they travel so that we can pin them to our maps.  I want to show our students all the places we have been and all the places we can dream to go to.  I would like our students to know that there is a whole world out there for them to explore full of diverse learning opportunities.

I look forward to a prosperous, successful and fun school year.
Take care,
Françoise

No comments:

Post a Comment